Sunday 28 August 2016

Why did I decide to start this blog?

The process of actually starting my own blog was not the easiest decision to make. As someone who has actually blogged for Student Minds for the past couple of years, won Blogger of the Year and has amazingly become Editor for the blog I still didnt feel ready.

I felt very vulnerable, like starting my own blog, would be far more personal, the fears I felt when I first started blogging emerged. Would people find my blog? Would people judge me? Why is what I have to say important? Am I embarrassing myself? Would people laugh at me? Honestly, sharing my story and personal experiences of mental health has not been easy, but I would never change it.

So perhaps moving on to my own blog was the next step. So I had to put my anxieties aside, bite the bullet and actually do it. I had promised myself for a while that I would start up a personal blog on completion of my degree. My degree was done, I was in limbo before starting a new job. What could be a better time hey?

As a big advocate for campaigning for mental health and reducing stigma despite being so scared to talk about my story (I still am to a large extent) I made the step, I wanted my story to be able to help others. Frequently reading blog posts on mental health and keeping up to date with mental health news made me realise that I could make a difference alongside all those inspirational people.

I wanted to turn my experience of depression and self harm into a positive and help people. I believe storytelling has been a great help to my mental health journey; putting my struggles into words has helped me deeply assess what I have experienced and thus how far I have really come. I wanted to do what others have done in the hope that perhaps one of my blogs could help someone who is feeling similar or is at a similar point in their lives. Not everyone knows someone who is experiencing it and there is nothing more powerful than reading someone else's words and thinking I am not alone.

As someone who has experienced the ups and downs of university I also wanted to share my honest journey through uni, that is often just portrayed as 'the best time of your life'. I believe this took a huge toll on my wellbeing and I think people should talk honestly (if you have any uni related questions I would be honoured to answer them).

I could not be prouder of where I have come and the amazing feedback and positive responses I have received since starting this blog. These differences have made it all worth it.

Can you think of any ways to ease my anxieties to sharing my own story? Do you feel a smiliar way?


No comments:

Post a Comment