Monday 29 August 2016

My Experience Taking Medication

Medication is such a hugely debated topic with many controversial views associated with taking medication for mental health problems. Unfortunately, there are also many myths associated with this. Although it might not be the magic cure, and it won’t make everything better, medication can help. I honestly don’t know where I would be without it.

There is a lot of stigma attached to taking medication and many of the people I know and love aren’t even aware of the fact that I myself take it simply to be able to function every day. It’s time to be honest, I don’t want others to be as scared as I was when I first started taking medication, reading horror stories online and believing I was doing something bad. So here goes, I take medication for anxiety and depression, and yes that is ok.

Medication is simply one of the many options available to help combat mental health problems, alongside talking therapies. Personally, the best option for me has been to receive a combination of counselling, support from my doctor and medication. It’s important to remember that medication has both benefits and drawbacks, and you should research both before making a personal decision to take it. Yes, there are side effects but I would rather feel nauseous or tired than be under the grip of the dark depression.

My decision to start taking medication was not an easy one. Firstly, it took a lot for me to realise that I needed help and unfortunately I found out the hard way. After months of despairing depression, crying myself to sleep, feeling numb and worthless, alongside the anxiety of trying to keep up appearances, to carry on being a successful university student and attempting to maintain my friendships. It all got too much, I couldn’t listen to the thoughts in my head for much longer, I left the house at night taking a walk to the sea front, I didn’t want to be here anymore, I was shaken up but I could not do it, I could not hurt the people that I know and love no matter how much I was hurting at the time.

I came back and my house mates, clearly concerned about me didn’t know what to do. One of them was brave enough to text me and say that they knew I wasn’t right and that I needed to get help and they were scared, I was scared too I told them. With her support I booked a doctor’s appointment and started my journey on understanding my depression and anxiety.

If I could give myself some advice before taking the medication, I would remind myself that they won’t solve everything all at once, but that is okay. In the end, they will make my depression and anxiety a little easier to deal with. It will be worth it. I would also say if you are not happy with the medication you are on, ask for a new one, not every medication is suitable for everyone and this is ok. 

How was your experience taking medication? Do you have any advice for someone taking it for the first time? Please comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment