Monday 1 August 2016

My Favourite Author: Jodie Picoult


Yes, I admit I am a little bit of a book worm, I love to read and have for as long as I can remember. Honestly I would rather read a good book then watch a movie!! 

However, I am one of these people who can only read or watch something once, which is why I am so grateful that my favourite author has written a large number of books! These take up the pride and joy of my shelves in my bedroom. 

Why do I like Jodi Picoult so much?

I feel like her work really connects with real life, despite being fiction I feel so drawn into each individual character and their lives. Cleverly all the chapters are narrated by someone else and there is a pivotal court scene in each novel. She has written about a wide range of topics made up of many interesting characters. Her books have the least predictable story lines, which only makes that all the more interesting. The plot twists, really do leave you on the edge of your seat and mean that I spend nights up to the early hours of the morning as I am just not able to put her books down. 

What are my favourite Jodi Picoult books?   My Sisters Keeper and Handle with Care


My Sisters Keeper:
I read this years and years ago, way before the film came out. I do love the film - but seriously it has nothing on this book and I strongly urge you to read it. The story of a young teenager with cancer and her younger sister's experience trying to go through court to become medically emancipated. This heart wrenching novel takes you on the journey of a young girls experience with cancer and the effect this has on the rest of the family. This raises many ethical and moral questions - what does it mean to be a good parent? sister? or person? Should you do whatever you can in your power to save a child's life even when that negatively impacts the life of another? 

Handle with Care:
I read this book more recently - the story of a girl called Willows experience of severe osteogenesis imperfecta - meaning that she lives a life of hundreds of broken bones and a lifetime of pain. This story explores questions of medical ethics and the testing of personal relationships. The ob/gyn should have informed the parents that their child would be born severely disabled - meaning that the parents could go to court and get a massive pay out. However, to do so means admitting that if they got the choice they would have terminated the pregnancy and not had their little girl Willow who they love and adore. Not only would they have to make this bold statement but the person that her mum would be suying was not only the ob/gyn but her best friend. This raises questions of friendships, disability and survival. What would you do in that situation?

What books do you like best? Let me know if you want to do a book swap and I would be happy to send you one of her novels. 



4 comments:

  1. I've never read Jodie Picoult before - I'll have to go check out some of her books now! I'd love to read more about what books you love, I'm always looking for more to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lauren - you should 100% check out Jodi Picoult lovely! I would be happy to send you some, book exchange ha? - thanks for that I will do more book related post for you!xx

      Delete
  2. I have read My Sisters Keeper but thats it, I really need to buy more of her books!!! I have been loving Zoes Book Club recently, she has the best books included xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma you should 100% read more of her books - she has so many. As I said above I would be happy to do a book swap! I will check out Zoes Book Club - any recommendations?xx

      Delete